Thursday, July 9, 2015

Getting to know NY's galleries.


Instead of working in the studio one week Ryan had me explore the galleries in Manhattan. I started with the New Museum of Contemporary art because they are currently showing a painter I admire, Albert Oehlen. Then I made my way upstate to hit the Gagosians, they have 1 on Park and 2 on Madison Ave. that I went to. Where I saw Cy Twombly, more Albert Oehlen, Christopher Wool, and Warhol.... to name a few.

I also went to Luhring Augustine, Yossi Milo Gallery, Yoshii Gallery, Venus, 303, and David Zwirner. I also got to go to the new Whitney in the meat packing district, the new building is pretty cool and I attended an avant guard jazz concert celebrating the work of Conlon Nancarrow which was amazing.

I observed/ took note of the different ways galleries approached and presented their shows. One example is I noticed I enjoyed one gallery over another even though they were showing the same artist. The one I enjoyed more had less work, however was extremely focused and selective of which works to show and leave out, and how to arrange them as a whole in order for the audience to maximize the types of connections in the work.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment