Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Portraits of People on the Move

Spending my summer working with Jennifer Baker on the Portraits of People on the Move project was such a unique experience. I learned so much that I really don’t think I would have without being a part of this project. Gaining experience with InDesign, and practicing with sewing, book design, and set dressing is something I’m really thankful for. I had never really thought much about doing set work but it was a really fun way to use all of the skills I’ve gathered over the years. Through this experience I also learned a ton about different cultures and countries. I must admit my education on immigration laws was lacking and it was really heartbreaking hearing the unfair ways the system often works out. After working on this project, I’m hoping to go to Italy after graduation to meet a lot of my family that still lives over there. Most of my family was born in Sicily and was lucky with a fairly smooth immigration.

I think a really important veiw I got from this experience was how things work outside of Uarts. It is easy for things to become routine during the semester so having curveballs and last minute changes was very real life. I’m used to staying up extremely late working on assignments, but it was much different having Jennifer also up very late emailing along with me and reviewing corrections as I finished them. I also got awesome experience working with a printer other than Anderson’s imaging lab. Ben, who did our printing, was awesome and I really appreciate how patient he was with me and answering my questions. It was certainly different than dropping something off on the 6th floor and immediately being given your print. Learning how to send large files through the internet while keeping their quality will be huge to know how to do in the future.

Though the Portraits of People on the Move project is no longer in the gallery space, the blog is still continuing as Jennifer gathers more stories of immigration. I’m so thankful being included in this project and I can’t wait to see where it goes from here.


No comments:

Post a Comment